It seems hard to believe but Christmas is over and once again I am at uni, but this time it feels a bit different. Last time as I was dropped off and hugged goodbye, my first term lay before me – a completely blank slate. Now as I reassemble my room and restock the fridge it is without that initial wide-eyed wonder, which isn’t to say that I’m not excited to see what this term brings but it is sinking in now that this isn’t just a jolly but actually my life, and for someone considering trying to pursue an academic profession, also the beginning of my career…
But that’s all a bit heavy for my first day back.
I’m not a big believer in New Year’s Resolutions, the majority of the time they only serve to make us feel bad about ourselves and are mostly doomed to failure – which isn’t helped by the general glumness of January, if you want to have a make-over of yourself the summer is surely a much more pleasant time for such pursuits. But nevertheless I have decided that starting this term I will have ‘New Term’s Resolutions’, which I shall share here for your pleasure or derision.
- I solemnly swear to do ALL my reading this term, even the texts I find boring.
- I will get involved with more societies and socialise outside of my friendship group.
- I will go for more walks and enjoy UEA’s beautiful setting.
- I will try to eat my meals in the kitchen rather than my room, because if I eat in the kitchen then I wash my plates immediately rather than leaving them to collect on my desk.
- I will water Klytemnestra at least semi-regularly (she’s my desk plant).
- I won’t wait until I am out of clothes to do the laundry.
- And finally, I will read at least one book for pleasure rather than for class.
That’s all I can think of for now, although I may have to add to this list later.
Let me know if you have any resolutions for this coming term.